Skip to main content Help with accessibility Skip to main navigation


NHS Cheshire CCG is committed to ensuring our patients can access high quality care that is safe, effective and focused on patient experience. We expect our patients to be treated with respect, dignity and compassion by the services that we commission.

However, we recognise that occasionally things may go wrong or that you might be unhappy with the care that you have received from a service.

Some issues can be resolved quickly by speaking directly to the staff in the service that you have accessed or by asking PALs to assist you. Other issues you may wish to have formally investigated under the NHS complaints procedure.

You have the right to make a complaint about any aspect of NHS care, treatment or service, with the assurance that your care and choices as a patient will not be compromised by raising a complaint.

You can either complain to the service provider directly (for example, the GP practice or hospital) or to the organisation that has commissioned (bought) the service.

The contact details of NHS Cheshire CCG's Complaints service:

NHS Cheshire CCG commissions secondary care services, such as hospital care, mental health services, out-of-hours services, NHS 111 and community services like district nursing.

However, NHS England is the commissioner of most primary care services (for example, GPs, dentists, opticians or pharmacists) and some other specialised services. If you have cause to complain about primary care services, you can find further information about raising a complaint with NHS England here:

In the event of a complaint about organisations in both primary and secondary care (for example, if you have a complaint about both your GP and hospital care) you are able to raise your complaint with NHS Cheshire CCG and we will cooperate with the other organisations involved to provide you with a coordinated response.

A complaint can be made by a patient or another person who has been affected (or is likely to be affected) by the actions or decision of an NHS service.

A complaint can also be made by somebody who is acting on behalf of the patient or the person affected, as long as they have appropriate consent.

A complaint should usually be raised within 12 months of the event(s) concerned, or within 12 months of the matter(s) coming to your attention.

Although there may sometimes be good reasons for extending this timescale, an investigation is usually most effective if it can be instigated as soon after the event as possible.

The first stage of the NHS Complaints procedure is called Local Resolution.

If you choose to raise a complaint with NHS Cheshire CCG as the commissioner of the service that you have cause to complain about, we will liaise with the provider of the service and request that they undertake a thorough investigation into the agreed points of concern.

Following the investigation, you will receive a formal response from an Executive member of staff which explains our consideration of your complaint, an honest explanation or conclusion that we have reached in respect of the concerns raised and if appropriate, confirmation of the remedial steps that will be taken to avoid something similar happening again.

If you have reached the end of NHS Cheshire CCG’s complaints procedure and are dissatisfied with the outcome, you can contact the Parliamentary and Health Ombudsman (PHSO) to review the case. The PHSO is independent of the NHS and makes final decisions over unresolved complaints about the NHS in England.

You can read more about the PHSO on their website:

NHS Cheshire CCG’s PALs or Complaints team are happy to help with any queries you might have about the process of raising a complaint.

You can also contact an Independent NHS Complaints Advocate (ICAS) for further practical advice and support to help you resolve your complaint:

NHS Cheshire CCG’s Patient Experience team also responds to correspondence received from local Members of Parliament raising concerns on behalf of their constituents.

If you feel very strongly about the impact of a healthcare decision on you, a relative or your local area, you can contact your local MP to raise your concerns.

You can find your local MP here: